Wednesday, October 5, 2011

AFTERMATH: Fair on the Square

Last Saturday was the 37th Annual Fair on the Square. According to unofficial reports, this was the most successful Fair on the Square to date, and I am not surprised. The first thing that I noticed while driving to the fair was the crowd. People were everywhere. Cars and trucks were parked in ditches and it wasn’t uncommon to have to park several blocks away from the fair. 
 
I went to the event with my very pregnant best friend and her two year old baby so I was only able to stay for a couple of hours, but I definitely enjoyed my time at the fair. My only regret was that I missed out on the yummy fair food because the lines were long, and I was too impatient to wait.
Highlights:
Practically every food vendor had a constant packed line. I wasn't the only one wanting fair food, but these people had the patience to wait for it and get it!

There were so many vendors selling so many items that it was practically overwhelming.
The local Livestrong organization was in attendance. This booth was filled with very nice people, and their bike riding community has a very good cause. Livestrong was founded in 1997 by cancer survivor and champion cyclist Lance Armstrong, and this organization raises money and awareness for the fight against cancer. Visit www.livestrong.org to learn more about how you can join this wonderful organization.

I enjoyed the free samples from this vendor. Cinnamon Roasted Nuts are always a tasty treat.

We ran into one of our favorite business owners, Jason Dyches of Double Daves. Like normal, he had a big smile on his face.
The Huntsville Hornets cheerleaders were also smiling. This came to no surprise after I discovered the sweet deal they had worked out with Double Daves. They were helping Jason Dyches' booth gain customers, and in return they earned half of the money raised at the booth. Definitely not too shabby! Thanks for helping to support the cheerleaders and the local community.

One of our last stops was to the beer garden where we listened to MoJiller, which includes members from one of my favorite local bands, The Mixed Review. As expected, they were very good. I can't wait for their next local show where I will hopefully get to sit back, relax, and stay a little longer. The word on the street is that there next show will be at the New Animal Shelter Facility Benefit on October 23rd. We will keep you posted.
(Bill Hillman, Joe Miller, Scott Nutter, and Scott McCarly)

(Scott McCarly of MoJiller and The Mixed Review)
Unfortunately, I missed Wayne Williams & Thundercreek, but I have heard that they were also really good.
Overall, it was a very fun day at the fair. Hopefully, next year is an even bigger success!

No comments:

Post a Comment